Listed below are the different types of gum, besides traditional chewing or bubble gum, and their function.
1. Antioxidant gum is usually made with green tea extract.
2. Breast enhancement gum claims to increase the size, shape, and firmness of female breasts.
3. Dental gum claims to whiten teeth, clean teeth, and freshen your breath. Chewing gum assists oral irrigation between and around the teeth, helping to clean and remove particles of food also using its sticky structure to grab on to any loose particles. However, for teeth in poor condition it may damage or remove loose fillings. It will also not replace regular brushing and flossing. Dental hygiene gum requires sugar-free ingredients. It has been reported that new versions are being researched by military forces, to assist field staff who need dental hygiene.
4. Diet gum claims to increase metabolism.
5. Energy gum also known as caffeinated gum, is used as a replacement for an energy drink or a cup of coffee. (A much more powerful gum also exists and is used for the military ).
6. Thirst quenching gum is a type of gum that is used by athletes and those engaged in strenuous exercise when water is not readily available.
7. Herbal gum can contain any herbal remedy, such as: Echinacea, Ginseng, Guarana, etc.
8. Gum designed to enhance one's concentration and memory also exists.
9. Medicated gum can contain almost any type of medication as long as chewing gum as a means of delivery system is deemed appropriate for a particular type of medication. Some examples include:
10. Smoking cessation gum is designed especially for people who are trying to quit smoking. The gum contains a small amount of nicotine to combat cravings, and gives the former smoker a pastime other than holding a cigarette in his/her mouth. Nicorette was patented in 1972.
11. Viagra gum was patented in 2003 by Wrigley but with no plans to make it commercially available.
12. Dry mouth gum helps to further stimulate saliva production in people suffering from dry mouth.
13. Travel sickness gum promises to stop the nausea associated with motion sickness.
14. Antacid gum helps to settle an upset stomach.
15. Vitamin gum contains Vitamin C or a multivitamin and is often designed for use primarily by children.
16. Not to be left out; For Blowing Bubbles